Sunday, December 31, 2017

Get Out, 2017!

Just this afternoon I was thinking, "I've lost the need to write." But here I am. Much of the time I'm overwhelmed and unsure these days. Plenty of other people broadcast what I'm thinking, so why add to the buzz? What do I even think of it all anymore? I don't even know. Because I don't trust anything I hear to be true, I'm unsure. I think and wonder and hypothesize in my head, and there's no summation, no conclusions. Every day it's more awfulness. This is what 11 months of Cheeto von Tweeto and the corrupt Fascist Congress, religious insanity of all ilks, and crazy ass killings have brought.

2017 was a brutal year. On the round heels of 2016's deathapalooza we get a load of crazy people in power all together. We take a deep breath and go on. No time to grieve anything anymore. Carry on with your PTSD self. Yes, those are naked pix of the President's wife. Move along. Yes, groceries have drastically risen in price. Take it or leave it. Yes, if you depend on the Social Security that you paid into for decades, or any social service, you may be screwed pretty soon. Look at this cat meme!

This is not a world for the tender or weak. But it is a place for the pissy and indignant, and I am those even at the best of times. (Has there even been a 'best of times'? agh, another topic for another day...) There must never come a day when nobody argues their point, but I worry that we've become too stupid and lazy to care to have a point. It's easier to be told what to think than to think for yourself. It's also easier to just morph from feeling to feeling, because nobody will challenge your feelings. If you're weak there's no encouragement to get strong. There are drugs to remove those annoying thoughts that may flutter by. Just take this pill and none of it will bother you. And we'll make a profit.

Lately I've read a few articles about "the end of Capitalism". It seems like the end of something. An end is also a beginning.

May 2018 bring us justice, truth, peace, kindness, open minds and hearts, and make them our values.
Get the hell out, 2017 and don't let the door hit you where nature split you.
x


6 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Heartfelt hugs and oceans of caring.
And here's to a kinder, gentler year. For us all, and for the world.

only slightly confused said...

2017 has been kind of 'stinko' hasn't it? Here's hoping there will be some improvement in 2018. Happy New Year Laura......may good things come to us all.

Geo. said...

Laura, It's kind of like when I retired from gardening and no longer had to leave the house at 5 a.m.. I was astonished and pleased to find there was no such hour. Reality could not be so cruel. I strongly suspect we will discover, en mass, that 2017 is also an illusion and that peace, liberty, sanity and love remain as we are disabused of temporal mirage. I raise my glass, not champagne yet but a local Pinot Noir, toward Vermont --and you.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I have tried so hard to not go where I was many years ago, that being a severe depression. I have been very sad this year, but I fight it with all I have, and I will not give up hope for my children, my grandchildren, my country, and for my world. Maybe it will take a miracle, but I must believe that we will make it through these most troubling times. Maybe 2018 will be the year that the world will awaken to the consequences of hate and turn around to a more peaceful and tolerant perspective. There is no alternative.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Yep, I think we're all happy to see the end of 2017. Even for a pathological optimist like me, it's been a rough year. But we're still standing, kiddo. We will NOT despair, and we will NOT lose hope. A new year means new opportunities and new hope. Anything's possible. If the Grinch's heart could grow, maybe it's possible for our political leaders, too. (Now, if they could only enhance their brains, too...) :)

HAPPY NEW YEAR, sweetie!

Lisa Southard said...

'At the bottom of the abyss comes salvation' (Joseph Campbell, I think)
Happy new everything, we hope!