Monday, October 26, 2009

The Miniscus

One of the diagnoses I've received is Arthrosis. Arthrosis is different from arthritis in being an active disease rather than a condition that flares and rests. It's a thing where stalagmites and stalactites grow in the joints, for lack of a better description. These calcium growths wipe out what cartilege is left, leaving no buffer, no miniscus between hard places. Which is a lot like going thru disability in the US.

Last week I had the honor and joy of talking to Senator Bernie Sanders for a few minutes. Bernie is one of my favorite people on the planet. I thanked him for all he and his office did for me when SSDI were dragging their feet and my life thru the mud of the application process. Then we talked about the way things are for millions of Americans. The Byzantine and inscrutable delays, the shortage of doctors (especially good ones), the ability of doctors to deny care. We held hands and spoke directly, one human to another. I'm convinced he is a man who truly cares about people and that's his primary motive. Not once did he look away from my eyes, not once did he dodge a question, give a stock answer, change or steer the subject. When I told him the name of the woman staffer who helped me and how grateful I was, he turned pink and smiled like a kid who's done well. After we commiserated he asked me to send anyone who has a problem to him. "I have 8 good (forgot the term he used, but he meant his assistants) waiting to help people. They're good, that's why they're there. Send anyone with problems to us." So anyone- even if you're not a Vermonter- call Bernie's office if you need help. They may not be able to serve you directly, but they'll know who can, near you. 1-800-339-9834. And they follow up and want to know until the job is done.

In the Scylla and Charibdes we're stuck in these days, we need a miniscus to protect us and make things moveable. Bernie and his office are that. Use them.

2 comments:

MoonRaven said...

I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis. It sounds like a very painful condition. I hope that it isn't getting worse.

It's great to hear of the work that Bernie is doing. I recently saw Capitalism: A Love Story and he had a small but important part in the movie. It was good to hear his clarity. We need more Senators like him (and like Ted Kennedy) and less like... well, most of the bunch that is in there. I'm glad that he and his staff have been so helpful to you.

Blessings on you and all you are doing.

Austan said...

Hi Moony! Well, after a while you get used to pain. It's virtually untreatable, so it's gonna be what it's gonna be. I always appreciate your concern.

The movie was brought up by someone at the event; that when his face came onscreen everyone in the theater applauded. Can't wait to see it but it'll have to wait for the dvd.

Blessings on you, Moony. You're changing the world, one head at a time. Keep on truckin!