Sunday, September 3, 2017

You've Gotta Pick Up Every Stitch

Here we are in that long exhale called September.

People make a big deal of Spring being lovey time. Not for me. This is it. There's something about this time of year, September to November, that makes me love. Love love love. It's intoxicating, it's full of life, it's like being young again.

The thinning of the veil invigorates me. It used to scare me, now I revel in it. This year I'm thinking about why being in a ghost's presence isn't as scary as say, the movie "The Haunting" (the original, not the remake). Though none of the ghosts I've encountered has been physical or threatening, just weird. I mean, that it even happens is weird. But you sort of get used to it with familiarity. And I'm sure now that those I've seen and those I've felt or heard are different things. Feeling and hearing go together, for me. Seeing is, I think, a partial time slip. Seeing doesn't much rattle me at all anymore, which surprised me when I realized it. On the other hand, to this day when I hear a chair dragging overhead my shoulders rise. But a creepy movie- or in today's case, a few episodes of "One Step Beyond"- can freak me right out. I have to go outside or call someone to get unspooked. And I love it.

It's harvest time, and friends and neighbors are kindly sharing. I traded peach preserves for tomatoes yesterday. Tomato butties make me happy.

With Game of Thrones nights over, we go back to Game Nights. This Friday we resume, Paul's game choice and Chris' belated birthday celebration. I'm making lasagna and getting a Carvel cake. We'll have a few drinks and play. I think it's important to be goofy in these direly distressing days.




This year more than other years, I'm noticing the subtle daily light change. It's softer, more relaxed. In the morning it glimmers on the plastic cover of my keyboard. I even love that.

Adapting to what my hands can do now, I'm teaching myself to draw and sew again. Typing is a chore, but it's teaching me patience and to relax. There's no need to hurry, I've stopped giving a rat's ass what anyone thinks or expects from me. It'll all get done when I get to it.

And life goes on. I hope you're well and happy. Get some fun.
x

7 comments:

only slightly confused said...

It's my favourite time of year as well...always has been. The light and the air are so different from any other time of year. There's a feeling of, I don't know, expectation I think is what it is.
So the veil is thinning is it? I can't wait to see what's on the other side.
Yes, have some fun. There is so much worry and fear in the world right now, especially with that idiot in North Korea doing his 'dance of death' with his nuclear war heads....we need something to take our minds off it.

Elephant's Child said...

Fun is a precious resource and should be taken at every opportunity.
Add me to those who love autumn. I adore the light and the arboreal fireworks are a welcome bonus.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Wrapping myself in covers is so comforting and this last week I sure needed that. That cool air was a nice relief and gave me some much needed energy. However, despite the heat and humidity that can take my breath away, I do love summer best of all. I do not like the light fading away as summer ebbs and the sounds of the night slowly quiet down. I fear and hate winter and my mood is definitely affected by it. I now try to savor each day as time quickly marches by.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

I truly love the tone in your post, kiddo. You sound so upbeat, it makes me smile.

And oh yes, we do need those smiles, don't we? We may not be able to change the world, but we can control what happens in our little corners of it.

I like this time of year, too. We opened all of the windows for a little while this morning, and it was so nice to air the house out a bit. I always welcome the end of sweltering weather, and since we don't usually get much in the way of real "winter" weather, I don't dread the approaching winter, either. PLUS it's the start of football seasons! What's not to like?

Take care. I'd love to take part in your game night... my favorite way to spend an evening. Smarticus and I settle for shooting pool.

Geo. said...

Autumn is my favorite season too, a time of recuperation, of healing rest while inner tensions resolve. I'm uplifted by your post and looking forward to more humane weather. All best wishes!

Unknown said...

we need something to take our minds off it.


หนังผี

klahanie said...

Hey Laura,

My humblest of apologies for taking so darned long to get here. I mean, heck, it's now almost October!

Your post has the resonance of a hopeful autumn. Indeed, go at a pace that you're comfortable with.

In peace and hope, your friend,

Gary
x