Saturday, June 9, 2018

Anthony Bourdain, Open Windows, Sheldon, and Reassurance

Anthony Bourdain hanged himself in a hotel in France on Friday. RIP.
I didn't know him, apart from when he cooked in a restaurant where Ian (we were just friends at that time) was bartending. He seemed obnoxious to me, pretty much a mess and asshole. But he was funny, and his presence filled a room.

Fast forward about 2 decades, and a fellow cook lends me Kitchen Confidential, his book about life as a cook. If you were a cook anywhere from the 70s onward, greasy spoon or Michelin starred, this was your life. He likened kitchen staff to pirate crew. He talked about the chronic drinking and drugs, the ridiculous sex, the humor, the anger and passion and joy in a kitchen. It was all there. If you haven't read it, please do. I've read a lot of books by cooks, this is the one that's bald truth. Tony also wrote a couple of mysteries that are fun reads.

Some time after that, I found him on tv. I caught his shows whenever, always interesting places and often unusual foods. He seemed born for this. It was a natural fit.

Hard to accept that he's just gone. I'd have never expected it.
Someone told me, "There are 2 things everyone is capable of- shoplifting and suicide."



My AC failed the housing authority's new standards and rules so I won't be having AC this Summer. Thus far it's been reasonably cool and not unbearably moist.With the windows open, I hear what I never heard with an AC running. Birds, animals, fighter planes, traffic, but mostly people. Could be drunks yelling, or the Old Man with the Little Dog singing a "buzz-buzz" song to his tomato plants. Some of these things aren't desirable- the new neighbor who can't slam her door hard enough, or the constant banging and dragging from the upstairs nut- but it's life in the projects. People are enjoying the weather and living it up. Another reason I can't wait for Fall.

I've fallen in love with The Big Bang Theory. Not having cable for years now, I never saw it until recently, and am happy to see something American that celebrates brainy types (think I would marry the Sheldon character!). These nerds are flawed and dysfunctional, awkward and often ignorant of their own behavior. Just like people. It's helped me reclaim my nerdiness and be at peace with it. I'm glad there's a relatable show for the young brainiacs, too. TV nerds were always depicted so poorly when I was a kid.



Billy and Maria married again, 48 years to the minute from the first wedding. They're happy and looking forward to the golden years together.

Goggles and I have settled into an amicable neighborliness. She still rants but I'm used to it. We share food. I check on her when needed. She used to be a physics professor; it's nice to have theoretical ideas bandied about in hallway chats. There's a bit of Magick in those who live in alternate realities.

I hope your June is busting out all over. Peace.



6 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Peace (and a generous helping of happiness) to you too.

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

I will miss Bourdain, I liked his wry sense of humour and his love of food.
Why do you have to wait so long for a new AC?
I have always liked the Big Bang Theory, as like you I was always a nerd, or perhaps a geek . . . I'm not sure, but I enjoy their humour and their dedication to Science.
Why are Billy and Maria getting married again? Are they divorced, or is it a re-celebration?

Geo. said...

Dear beautiful lady, it's midnight and I'm a bit sauced but absolutely overjoyed to hear from you again. Lately, I've learned how hard it is to compose a post when illness strikes. It will be a rough summer for me and I hope to see your posts gracing my reader. All my best to you.

only slightly confused said...

I'm so glad you are here again.....I've missed you. You know, I think I've always lived in an alternate reality...it's an allright place to be. Sorry to hear about your AC though...I hope it's a coolish summer for you.

Elephant's Child said...

Missing you, and hoping life is treating you kindly.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I don’t know if you ever check your blog, but know that I think of you and hope you are in a good place and still fighting the good fight.