Saturday, February 20, 2016

Conditions Apply

Had one of those accidental early morning deep conversations. You know, when you're sitting in silence with a cuppa waiting for your computer to wake up. Someone says something and things go sideways into heavy.

"There's no such thing as unconditional love."

"What?"

"There's no such thing as unconditional love."

"I dunno, I think there is, in some instances."

"Well, that's conditional itself. People change, instances are subject to change, always nullifying the unconditional part. People are judgmental as hell, and will even walk away without warning. So there's no such thing as unconditional love. It's another lie we believe that just makes us unhappy."

"Jesus Christ. This early I'm thinking and hearing this?" ( I think this, I don't actually say it, there's just a thoughtful pause).
"Well, shit. But yeah. Ya got a point."
Disabused of the notion of unconditional love in the abstract, but possibly still applicable once in a billion chance instances, I burn my lip on hot coffee and get online.

5 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Sigh.
I think you are right, but even unconditional love is more often 'considered' love. Which has some pluaes. Love is too important to be a totally unquestioning thing.

Geo. said...

Now there's a discussion I've often had with myself! Unconditionality becomes a condition of unconditional love --which must exist in defiance of its only condition. Some things are just too intense for analysis and must be taken on faith (faith also keeps most of its definition in the 4th dimension). Keep this up and you get a Samuel Beckett play.

Austan said...

Life among the wondering is always interesting and sometimes irritating. There are times I don't want to think about there being no end to the universe. I suspect Beckett was among the wondering a lot, too.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Boy, that was a little heavy to get into before you'd even gotta a cuppa into you. Sheesh.

I'm on the side of believing in the existence of unconditional love, although it may be somewhat rare. Parent to child, sometimes child to parent, between spouses, between friends. (And I won't even get into the religious side of it.) Love just IS.

klahanie said...

Hi Laura,

I was just finishing off my cup of instant chicken gravy. Yes, I realised I grabbed the instant chicken gravy instead of the instant coffee!! Penny informed that I should not have such a "fowl" drink. She also mentioned that dog's are true demonstration of unconditional love.

Gary
x