Monday, August 27, 2012

Varys. What the Hell does He Want?

That's a title on a thread of the massive Game of Thrones forum which I'm spending entirely too much time reading. I'm doing just what I did in HS and college with Tolkein and Brooks. Excepting that these days we don't lurk in the library and find otherTolkeinheads. These days we're all online. And we're Martinized.

Anyway, the Varys in question is a one-man CIA in the GoT saga. But nobody knows what his real deal is. And that made me think. Well, does anyone ever know what someone else wants, really? If you believe that theory of wants and needs fulfillment ho-hum, is our want list what forms our characters? Our choices and priorities are pretty much always around our wants. Half the time we don't know what we want, much less what anyone else wants. But motives can be hidden, even from the person acting on them.

I love mysteries. Life would be a drear if everything was straightforward and known. Happily, everything is complicated and most things have a mix-in of unexpected ass whoopings and astounding moments of joy. As I look over at a somewhat SO absorbed in the Game of Thrones marathon on my tv, I wonder what the hell he wants. The Beest is easy. She wants food or she wants petting. Two speeds. People aren't so easy. But they're usually more interesting.

And while I'm at it, what the hell do I want? I want the next freaky thing in my life to happen and get it overwith. There's something coming; I just wish it would get on with it.
In the deep big picture, I haven't a clue. Maybe it's better this way; it keeps the game interesting.

4 comments:

Geo. said...

I too like mysteries, and you've described their mystique admirably. As to "want", when I can't decide what I want I go get a beer. It's midnight and danged if it didn't happen again!

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

Sorry, read the book ages ago, got bored, fell asleep.

CarrieBoo said...

Ah, yes. I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want.(Aaargh!) I really want some time alone, actually. But I'd go so far as to say "need".

Maybe that's why I like animals, because they don't confuse me. You got me thinking now. :)

Susan Kane said...

What do I want? Not a pony, for sure.

I want to have a few weeks where life plods along at a normal rate. Doing normal stuff would be wonderful. The summer zipped by and I am not at all certain that there was a summer.