Thursday, July 26, 2012

Today's Mindless Joy

There are very few things I love more than laughter. The funniest of funnies come from truth and anger, and a great source of  both is in talking about where one lives, or grew up. Especially when it's a soul-sucking or confusingly awful place. And so it is with watery eyes and that bubbly inside feeling that I pass on today's source of mindless joy:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/jul/25/thurrock-capital-misery?

The comments are priceless, as the UK's citizenry go at it in Four Yorkshiremen style. Stuck in my head is, "Even the dog turds are gray." Which put me in mind of my own home town:
 
http://www.theonion.com/articles/84-million-new-yorkers-suddenly-realize-new-york-c,18003/

And in the Guardian comments was also a recommendation to a delightful site where I found
http://craptowns.wordpress.com/2012/07/12/glastonbury/

Reading this description of Glastonbury, I expect nods of recognition from those of us in Brattleboro who remember when this town was eerily similar. And also those who've spent many years among the Pagan communities.

Humor is truth and truth humor. That is all we know and all we need to know. May your day be full of it.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness...where do you find this stuff?

Austan said...

Lawless- like much in my life, it finds me. Wherever I go, it finds me...

klahanie said...

Hi Laura,
Ah Glastonbury, full of "new age travellers" who are looking for the "Glastonbury Festival". They are so out of it that they don't realise that this year's festival is not happening. And then there's Stoke on Trent....yikes! :)
Gary
x

Geo. said...

"May your day be full of it."

There is a general consensus here that I am quite full of it, but thanks for putting it so positively!

Elephant's Child said...

Black humour has been a lifeline for me in a number of ugly situations. It is a blessing, and I wouldn't give it up for quids.
I adore where even the dog turds are grey. Mega thanks.

Austan said...

Gary! Hahahahah! "New Age" people are hilarious!
Laura
x

Austan said...

Geo- I knew you'd get that! I enjoy a double entendre here and there.

Austan said...

EC- Laughter's more than good medicine, sometimes it's the lifesaver to hold onto. We know. Hang in there, girl.

CarrieBoo said...

You mean, there's somewhere worse than Bradford, England, where I grew up? I find that hard to believe. ;)

Wow, that's not the part of Glastonbury I saw one wild festival year! Though there was drumming and smoke rising with the sun one trippy morning after no sleep. :D

Austan said...

Boo, did you say Bradford?
http://craptowns.wordpress.com/2012/06/20/bradford/
:D