Wednesday, January 12, 2011

In the Bleak Midwinter

It's 4:15 and the snow that started last night seems to be taking a break. For much of today I couldn't see across the Harmony; it fell thick and fast, swirling like a snowglobe until the wind would blow it sideways. There's about 2 feet of it out there. I feel sorry for my super and anyone else my age who's been battling the drifts and trying to clear a path. This kind of snow, powdery, is easy to lift but impossible to get to stay where you put it. Early this morning I watched the super pointing and cursing the snowblower a la Basil Fawlty, sans the tree limb to beat it.

My friend Joe said that this winter is very long- every day feels like a week, and he's right. I don't know why, but it does. For as long as it's like this, I won't be getting out at all. A wheelchair doesn't work well on snow. There should be snow tires or chains or something but I've never seen them. It'll be a real challenge to not go nutty this year.

The Housing people called and offered a 1-roomer in our town's equivalent of the Marcy Projects. Though I can't take it, because I really can't live in one room in a family development full of kids who have kids, if I don't take it I'll be thrown out of the program and have to start all over. So I have to get some note from some health pro with initials to say I'll go nuts if they put me there. For this I waited 2 years?! But how can I go on giving 7/9ths of my income to a slumlord, either?

Oh yeah, disability, social services, it's all a real gravy train.

No comments: