Sunday, November 25, 2012

That Went Fast

What a terrific Thanksgiving. We had plenty of everything, including steam, until we ate. Then we turned into zombies. It was almost 5 hours before Strider and I ate pie; Stevil had gone home when it became clear that we ween't bouncing back. One lousy plateful and we're almost sick? That's not right. What lightweights we've become!

But damn that was good. The leftovers were/are good too.
And on top of Strider doing just everything she could to make my life easier, she also did the cleanup. And brought me a plate of dinner. Was this the best Thanksgiving ever? Yes. The 3 of us laughed our asses off and then pigged out. And then sat motionless in awe at the power of food.

It wasn't like a holiday deal really; it was more like Strider and I went on a retreat. Because we did sod tout on Friday. She played a video game and I read studies I'd been meaning to read- interesting things about brain activity among several "automatic writers" for one- and we had movies in the background. I think that's the longest continuous time the tv has ever been on in my house. So with one eye and sometimes 2, I watched some great old movies-Dial M for Murder and Suspicion- and a random camp movie called The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra and a couple of musicals. I think Strider was so engaged/escaped in her game that the movies were filler. lol

By some miracle, most of the time I was gleefully left alone. No phone calls, no situations, nobody wanting. It feels like I've been away but neither of us left the house for 2 days (except for the Em walking). It's been miraculously, fabulously, blissfully quiet. My ears have dropped. I can just hang with Strider, something that is hard to find these days. It was like the 70s but with no new album to listen to. She brought vidz, I had some ready, we didn't bother. We just hung out and did as close to nothing as you can get. And it was great!

For some reason, when Strider walks in it's like she's just come home from work. We pick up talking as if we just hung up the phone. Emmet, however, is getting very old and does not talk as much as he used to. He doesn't see or hear too well either. He is, however, still the WonderDog.
And Beest? Well she was put out for a couple of days, trying to sneak out behind Strider, lurking by Emmet's waterbowl and being a bitch. She's been sleeping or eating and nothing else since they left yesterday.

We've given thanks. We ate, we drank, we smoked (yes, I smoked) and we slept. And I slept like the dead last night and will again tonight. And then tomorrow life will start again, I'm sure. Sometime in the last 3-4 days I transitioned into Holidays Laura, with several bottles of imbibage in the kitchen and sweets and munchies around. The decorations call.

So we're here, in the log flume that is the holiday season. Wrap the presents, put up the tree, play the music, decorate, cook, bake, watch the movies and specials. It wasn't tough to step into it all this year, more a drift than a step really. Now I even have an art project in mind. A Marley doorknocker.  : ) Yep, that went way too fast. I could've done nothing for a few more days before I got concerned. Now things get somewhat crazy for the next 6 weeks or so, then we rest again. I'm planning to sleep for the entire month of February.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a perfect holiday to me...food/sleep/relaxation/talk...yep, pretty much perfect.

Geo. said...

Your holiday season sounds much more vigorous than mine but please don't sleep all February. Without your renewed company in the new year, I shall be devastated.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

You sound so happy and content. Thanksgiving brings out the best in us all.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Now, I'm hoping you post a picture of that Marley door knocker, kiddo. And nah, you don't wanta sleep through February. Ya might miss something reeeeeally good.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I'm with Susan - You should post that picture! I really like your blog!

Austan said...

Lawless, yep, it pretty much was.

Austan said...

Geo.- the most vigorous thing done was the chewing. :) Oh, I threaten to sleep thru most Februarys but haven't done it in 30 years. I couldn't do without my Enigmas either.

Austan said...

Arleen- that's exactly it, contentment. Thanksgiving is good.

Austan said...

Susan- working out that doorknocker. don't know if I'll go for papier mache or styrofoam... I'll ask Stevil to take a shot of it to post though.

Austan said...

OE- thanks! Yeah, Susan's full of good ideas!

John Going Gently said...

oh to sleep for a month!
hang on
oh to sleep for a day!