Thursday, June 7, 2012

Hands Held, Kisses Given

So in the end it's exactly what I thought. After an hour and change of reassuring hopeful salesmanship, the Australian Planning Guy we now have said that the new Town Plan calls for this place being gone. So there it is. We'll have 3-5 years, maybe 7, before it's all done and the Hobbits are booted out. Alternative sites are being spec'd out, the new housing will probably be an apartment block of several floors, no yards, no porches, no veggie patches, no trees. Bye-bye Shire.

Two older-than-me ladies, upon hearing it'll be 3 years before there's a plan on paper, said to each other, "Well, we don't have to worry, we'll be gone by then." I don't think they were talking about moving to Florida.

And of course it all came down to money.

Several people I knew were there. Special K left about 20 minutes after she arrived. Of the entire Selectboard, only Dora showed up. The Town Manager didn't bother. There were some FEMA people, some housing advocates, a smattering of residents I recognized. In all, about 60 people. The Princess stayed and we came back here and rehashed it over some Ben and Jerry's.

I don't know if I'll unpack anymore or hang any more pictures. In a couple of short years it'll just have to be packed again. I'd really hoped this was it for good and all. Unless something wild happens (which is always possible in my life) I'll move on to the warehouse with the others. Well. Quite a day. 

11 comments:

Geo. said...

An Australian planner? Don't sound right. What was the "town plan" when the town started 300 years ago? Ah, cursory research yields Fort Dummer --after the 1st L.governor. French, not the Australians, French attacked the martial government there in 1720s. I suggest you invite them back.

Elephant's Child said...

Sucky, sucky, sucky. I am so sorry. And a delayed sentence is no comfort.

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

Advice from a New Zealander...never, never, repeat never, trust an Aussie.

Unless you're going to war, then it's alright.

sdt (a.k.a. stevil) said...

Did they say what the "new town plan" expects to do with the location, location, location? Will they tear everything down and leave it green space/flood plain, or will it become further development for rich New Yorkers and 2nd home owners from Connecticut?

Anonymous said...

A lot can happen in 3 to 7 years...but it's not nice feeling unsettled for that length of time. Are there any other places in town that you could (want to) get yourself on the list for?

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I am so sorry, Laura. However, I have to agree with Delores, 3 to 5 years is a long time. During that time you might be able to get on a list of alternative housing that would be more suitable for you rather than "the warehouse" solution. My heart goes out to you and the other residents. You have all been through so much these past nine months.

CarrieBoo said...

Oh crap. Better to know what's what... but, man. Very sorry to hear this, Laura. That's going to be a lot of Ben and Jerry's...

I've lived in enough apartments (with small balconies, at least) and a basement for two years with dark, no garden, low ceilings... it was all I could do to stay awake. They could at least give you balconies, somewhere to put pots of flowers. *sigh*

Austan said...

Geo- Somehow I don't think they'd do it. However, the invitation stands.

EC- Sucky is the word of the day.

TSB- Oh, I don't. Especially this one.

Stevil- FEMA has put forth the dictum that if it goes into acquisition & demolition (which is what it will do) it is forever after a green space.

Lawless- No other spaces. It's all one agency. I waited 2 years to get in here. There just are no other places. Which is why they'll build 250 new units in a warehouse.

Arleen- The joking on the walk back was all about dying before the 5 year limit. There is only one list here. If you don't take what they offer, you're off the list. Beggars can't be choosers, they say.

Carrie- It's all pretty disheartening. We went thru so much to get here in the first place, then more to come back after the flood, and now we'll lose it. From the beginning the town wanted us gone. They got their wish.

I've lived in basements, attics, tenements with a toilet up the hallway. This is the nicest place I've ever lived. Which is why it so sucks to lose it.

MoonRaven said...

Oh, Laura. I'm so sorry to hear this--especially after all you went through to get in there in the first place. It sounds like you expected the worst--and got it.

Oh man.

Wayne Kernochan said...

I'm sorry you have to go through that. It's happening all over. We were evicted fropm our apt in Queens when the landlord decided he wanted the apartment instead of the rent

The judge said we could sue the city. A friend down the block is now being evicted the same way

What the hell happened? I've never duped myself into believing the powers that be gave a damn about us, but I've never seen such disregard for human life

I'm happy that I'm into the second half of my life

Austan said...

Moony- Yeah, all that hoop-jumping for nothing. I guess the beatings will continue til morale improves. ;)

Wayne- We thought the world was pretty cold, but not dry ice cold, eh?

It makes me glad I'm a mortal. Could you imagine living forever in a cesspool like the US has become? Hang in there, babes.