Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day

Here in the states it's Mother's Day. Across the country, mothers will be brought out to brunch, cooked for by small children, given flowers and cards. Like most commercial holidays, it's a nice compulsory gesture.

There are mothers who aren't Mothers, too. I have a lot of friends who have no children but mother all sorts of living things. I've had a lot of mothers in my life and still do. I'll be making phone calls today.

And there are those who are just mothers to deal with. We're all of us mothers in some sense of the word. Funny how almost every nasty name you can call someone in the English language is related to women.

To everyone who cares for, protects, feeds, encourages, clothes, disciplines, bails out, loves and nags others, I wish a Happy Mother's Day. It's a very small thank you for all the amazing work and heart you put into doing what you do.

No comments: