Saturday, May 14, 2011

Rereading Fahrenheit 451

Ray Bradbury is still one of my favorite writers. We were required to read some of his short stories when I was in HS- The Illustrated Man collection. After that I read Fahrenheit 451 and then almost everything he ever wrote. But Fahrenheit remains what I consider his best.

Now, 37 years since I first read it, it not only holds up but is frighteningly premonitive in the ways that 1984 is. Enough dreams of science fiction writers have come to pass that what was once scary fiction is now scary reality.

Without giving much away, the story centers around Guy Montag, a fireman of the future. A future where everything has been made inflammable and firemen exist to burn books. Happily, that hasn't happened yet, but much of the accoutrements of that society has. And it was first written in 1951.

Read this book if you've never read it, and reread it if you have. It's an eye-opener.

No comments: