Follow by Email

Friday, July 1, 2011

Blow It Off

Okay. I contributed my experience of having nearly every gay man I knew deny the existence of bisexuality to a thread. And was condescendingly and arrogantly responded to by someone who doesn't know me, nor know that I was in college when he was a fetus, and advised to get to know more gay men. The fucking nerve. I lost dozens of gay male friends and bosses in the AIDS epidemic. I was a GMHC volunteer when he was in diapers. I walked in the first AIDS Walk NY. I entertained at AIDS fundraisers. My adopted little brother was gay. The first book I tried to write was going to be titled "Diary of a Fag Hag", about the AIDS epidemic and what we did thru it. I couldn't finish it because of the constant nightmares. Who the hell does he think he's talking to?

And to top it, he misquoted me to make his point. Which is not a good sign for an elected official, especially one I voted for because there was an undercurrent of anti-gay sentiment in that election.

Nothing, nothing gets under my skin and on my last nerve like presumptive arrogance. I'm pissed. Time to get offline and seek distraction.

6 comments:

Rory Grant said...

The more I ponder sexuality the more I believe 'we are what we feel like at THAT MOMENT in time'. We look at sexuality as something which rarely changes, is a constant. That I believe, is the mistake not only those who would label us make, but sometimes we make it too. Sure many of us are 'constant' - but is that circumstance, upbringing, societal pressure or what? Then of course there's the mixing of sex and relationships - we group both together as though they are a 'given' - and of course they can be but equally they could just as easy be something 'loose' and undefined. But everything in my opinion, absolutely everything about sexuality is 'negotiable or contestable'.

This is my first post of the morning Laura, I took sleeping pills last night due to the pain in my hand - I'm not convinced I'm awake yet and may be talking a lot of pish. I'll check back later to read what I wrote again :)

Rory

Austan said...

Oh I think you make good points, Rory, especially for first thing in the morn. I have for much of my life, fallen for the mind and personality over the gender. And I don't like labels, but it seems that most of the human race thinks they're necessary. I hope that in the future all labels will be retired and we can just be humans.

Austan said...

Well, I told him the deal in a nice way (the nicest I could be) and in his backpedaling he did it again. He must be severely damaged goods or completely ignorant.

But I won't be voting for him again. We need sharper wits than his these days.

Lisa said...

I've said it once and I'll say it again- I think Homosexuality is wrong and I think Heterosexuality is wrong. Bisexuality is the way to go! You get the best of both worlds. :) I've told this to gay/lesbian/bisexuals/transgender and straight people- 98% of them will laugh with me and most will agree. The other 2%- churchy people. 'Nuff said...

Austan said...

I like your line of thought Lisa!!I truly think most people are bisexual anyway. I seem to like younger men best these days... does that make me transgenerational?

Lisa said...

Thank you!!!

I'm liking older men. I'll be transgenerational with you. hahaha