Friday, July 1, 2011

Right Here and Now

All the food is in the house awaiting my cooking. The paintings are hung. The whole place is clean. 30 beers chill and 30 more await fridge room. The lists are made, everything's accounted for and almost everyone's coming. With Annie's beer run and Alicia's shopping, I'm ready for the party. Almost.

Just waiting for the okay to borrow some chairs from the community room here...

And now I get to relax for the night. Can't cook this far ahead, everything's in place (but the chairs), I don't think I've ever been this organized in my life. Of course, part of me thinks I've forgotten something major or something terrible will happen. That's what party anxiety is all about. So staying in the right here and now is the way to go.

The older I get the more I see that if you borrow trouble you'll get it, that planning and organizing is the most important thing to do, and that you can handle anything if you think it through. And it really helps to have friends.

I think I may go polish the wheelchair. Maybe decorate the walker. Life's short. Celebrate any minute you can.

4 comments:

Geo. said...

Well, that certainly brought a nostalgic smile. I remember a time, '60s and '70s, when a friend would call with, "Come over, we've got chairs now!" Now, now that most of those remaining have lost their fun like old dogs and my hair, as the incomparable Dylan Moran (for which yuks, thank you) might put it, is increasingly theoretical, I look back on those house-parties with great love. May yours be a rousing success!

Austan said...

You're welcome! I remember those days too- and it's funny to see them again. And thank you for the good wishes. Happy 4th, Geo!

Allyson said...

wolf, my dear, wolf <3

Austan said...

That title was for you. <3