Monday, July 18, 2011

Taking the Temperature

Here and there I get emails from readers. Usually it's a greeting with some kind words, or a note over a particular post. Once in a while it's strong disagreement. And from these I get a feeling of the collective zeitgeist in the minds of the readers of this little blog.

It seems to me there's an upswing to a more positive outlook lately. The "Cynicism Sucks" post has continued to get lots of hits, and is the single post that brought the most response via email in a long time.

This really heartens me. Not just that somehow I got to strike a nerve (which always tickles me) but that people are sick of apathy and the Can't Do attitude. If it really is a turning point toward positive engagement, we can do anything. I have to think that part of the whole turnaround is the Arab Spring; a series of uprisings that prove that it can still be done, even with much turmoil and horror, it can still be done.

Maybe all we needed was to see that, to have some people care again so much that they'd put their lives on the line. Many have died for freedom in this past year.

Maybe we're looking for things that enforce our reasons to hope more. I certainly do, and celebrate the small victories these days too.

Maybe it's just time, and we're finally seeing that ignorance, apathy and cynicism are a waste of time in life. Life is short, what a despicable barren one creates by one's own negative willful impotence.

3 comments:

CarrieBoo said...

How encouraging. I was watching a documentary about censorship last night, and all the people who put their lives on the line to expose the truth via blogs, books... the written word. I feel a sense of power through knowledge being returned to us the people. The more technology grows and people share, the less they can blind and distract us. I feel like I'm going to burst most days as I just want to do something, anything, and have no idea where to start! But definitely, there is hope.

Austan said...

Absolutely! Sharing truth one-to-one is empowering! Your enthusiasm is catching. Just keep it alive; what you can do will present itself, it always does.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

There's an old song with the words, "Brighten the corner where you are." And that's it in a nutshell. If we look at all the bad crap in the world, it's easy to get discouraged, but if we concentrate on the things we CAN do, and the difference we CAN make, we DO brighten one little part of the world. (I'm a very sappy old lady!)