Friday, December 23, 2011

Things To Do In the New Year

Haven't called them resolutions in years, but I do try to elect for changes when facing down another Winter. For one thing, my abilities are always changing and in order to carry on, one has to adapt themselves or live a lesser life. I'm not willing to do that. My right hand has been a problem for a long time but has recently been an outright bastard. For now I won't be doing any pencil work. It sometimes looks like that portrait of GL may be the last I do. But I have to make art to stay near sanity. There are times when nothing else will do. Carving is still a challenge. What I need is a hanging Dremel, but they're expensive. And the new hi-tech sculpting mediums are tres cher.

The other day I took a look at bazza's blog
 http://todiscoverice.blogspot.com/
and saw the most remarkable watercolor by an artist named John Yardley, from which bazza kindly provided a link to a series of Yardley's paintings. And I fell in love. I have two sets of watercolors. I have the paper. I have the brushes. All these years I haven't explored watercolor. 2012, I will.

Drumsticks are out, too. So this Winter I'll buy a djembe and find a new way to drum.

And that bedroom has to be made functional. I think I figured out a way to do it, but it means I won't be able to get into half the closet directly. It's weirdly designed and has only one full wall, the short one. I think it was meant for a single bed shoved into the corner. It's damned near impossible to imagine what they were thinking. So there's a project.

This will be a busy Winter. I'm looking forward to it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now I know what to do with the watercolour set someone gave me a few years back. Come the new year I will send it to you.

bazza said...

Hi Austan. Thanks for the link to my blog! Should I expect a trebling of traffic now?
I'm glad you enjoy Yardley's paintings as much as I do.
Try to have a great Christmas and New Year.

Austan said...

Oh Lawless, you're terrific! Thank you!

bazza, haha, I wouldn't expect much. ;) Yardley's brilliant. Thank you for introducing me. And have a wonderful Christmas and New Year.