Saturday, April 16, 2011

There's A Sign on the Wall

Because of the noise and interruptions here during the day the only time I can write is late at night. The wee hours are prime. I'm usually relaxed and focused enough to let rip once midnight passes and if I get lost in the Gimp's Guide I won't go to sleep until 4 or 5, when my eyes give up. The problem is that the rest of the world starts operating at 7 a.m. around here and people seem to think that if you're home you have nothing else to do but welcome them when they drop by without warning. Add the stress and/or drama they bring and not much sleep for days on end and I understand homicide. I hate drop-bys, hate hate hate them. I've never done it, think it's incredibly presumptuous and rude. Don't get me wrong, I love my friends. I just don't enjoy being treated like I should be grateful for their surprise arrivals when I want to be alone, am busy or try to sleep until noon if I need to. No, thank you, you can't help me unpack. The last thing I need is to have to stop what I'm doing to answer questions. This place is the wreck of the Hesperus- I still haven't found the toaster or my socks- can I have a month to settle in before folks come bombing by? People ride my ass about getting the book done, then give me no space in which to do it. So I'm making 2 signs. "Writer at Work. Do Not Disturb" and "Writer Asleep, Do Not Knock". Gods help anybody who ignores them. I gotta get shit done.

2 comments:

Geo. said...

"The right to be let alone is indeed the beginning of all freedom." --Wm. O. Douglas

Austan said...

Amen to that!