Saturday, September 17, 2011

The Legend of Bloggy Creek

It's been a busy Saturday. Finished the rest of the glitch hunt on Ladies of the Lake, organized details for Nancy's dinner tomorrow, made several lists, lots of emailing, just made a potato and leek soup and threw a 3# meatloaf in the oven. Everyone's got a bug here, to one degree or another. It's been playing with Nancy and me, but it's seriously brought down a couple of people and as I write, there are 2 napping and one blowing his nose on the porch... 
Haven't had time to get aggravated with what's up in the world today. There's a lot going on everywhere. Unfortunately tragedy and bullshit will always wait to be caught up with tomorrow. It doesn't go anywhere.

Tomorrow afternoon an author is coming to interview me for a book he's writing about Hurricane Irene and the people it affected. I hope he doesn't have an angle about it, and has an open and honest viewpoint about it. It certainly wasn't what anyone around here expected, and dealing with it hasn't had a roadmap or guidebook. Ya just go on however you can. Some of us are luckier than others. I, for instance, didn't lose near enough to call it a catastrophe. But I didn't get the brunt of the 5' wall of water and sewage and I'm not 80 years old either. When you can't find your insurance policy in the muck and the company's bitching that you need to find it, that's catastrophic. My situation is a tiptoe thru the tulips in comparison.

I'm thinking that most people don't like dealing with uncertainty. That seems to shake their trees. It's been my experience that all of life is uncertain, and that most of these constructs we have, of safety, or dependability, are just illusions. Maybe that's cynical to some people. I think it's just realistic, and that it's setting yourself up to fall if you cling to useless concepts. Nothing in life is sure, except that some day you'll die. Why break your own heart with expectations? Just not logical to me. Maybe, as my brother accused, I'm a Vulcan. ;)

4 comments:

annieoatcake said...

Glad you're getting back to 'relatively' normal (for a vulcan!) Scotland had a pretty bad summer storm last week, and whilst it was pretty scary (falling trees, power cuts)it doesn't compare to what you all went through...

Austan said...

Watch out for those summer storms. Once a century is enough for me!

I'll go to my daughter's, finish my book, come back and get re-settled just in time for the holidays. There's no rest for the Vulcan! ;)

Rory Grant said...

Can I just pick up on something small you said? You mentioned "There's a lot going on everywhere. Unfortunately tragedy and bullshit will always wait to be caught up with tomorrow. It doesn't go anywhere.

I was thinking about that last week and realised that everything is so fucked up that I can no longer even figure 'where to begin?' - Never have I seen so much injustice and distress.

Rory

Austan said...

Rory- Ain't that the truth?! I guess it's pick a place and get digging. Gods know there's plenty of places to start. And plenty of bullshit to plow through.