Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Not So Bad Once You're Up

For sure things would look a lot better if it would stop raining. And if I could get my own puter on the internet. But things are as they are, all we have to do is take a breath and carry on.

Now that the shock is wearing off, I'm settling down. It helped that I slept a lot in the last 2 days. Irene has left a lot of damage. A teenager is still missing, a man was found dead in the water, and there's an overwhelming amount of work to do. Much of which depends on insurance companies' inspection and determination. It's an elephant for the eating, one bite at a time. It's also put our regular charities on the brink, as right now a good 10% of the town is de-homed or de-businessed in one way or another and all of us who are affected tend to be the ones behind the scenes in said charities. But I remain resolved that we'll get it all fixed. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but next week or the week after.

And many things go right ahead as if nothing's happened- the things that the people on the hill planned before Irene are going right ahead. I'm trying hard to be all right with that. My world may have come to a stop, my neighbors' too, but not everyone's. And that should be as it is. The whole point is that life goes on and we need that continuity.

I'm really looking forward to getting to the BHA office and doing what I can to help get us all back home. If we all do just a bit, it'll be put back together in no time. This is all doable.

And from now on I'm adopting the motto, "Keep calm and Carry On", cuz I think we're gonna need it.

I thank all of you bloggers for your unwavering care and support and cheer. It's meant more than I can say. Though my online time is kinda limited, every time I get on and see a comment from somebody my heart lifts. And soon I'll be back, ranting about politics and hypocrites and all those balloons just begging for a pin.

May I never lose sight of all we have to lose, all we have that can never be lost, and what great people surround me right now; Nancy, Joe, Paul, Laura, Henry, Phoebe, Lila ... all heartful, holy people in their own rights. I'm blessed.

And Happy belated Birthday, Stevil!!!!

9 comments:

CarrieBoo said...

So glad you got some kip and renewed determination. You expressed some beautiful sentiments in there.

Austan said...

You're one of the lights that keeps on shining Carrie. Thank you for never wavering xx.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Your last paragraph said it all. It is the people in our lives that will get us through, even if it is just a kind word. Time goes slowly when we are in distress, but keep your survivor attitude and you will come out OK.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

It had been a disasterous year in the weather department. Keep your survivor hat on and know that people are sending you good thoughts.

annieoatcake said...

You'll be fine, your head is screwed on the right way ;-)

Thinking of you and sending good vibrations,

Anniex

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Tried to comment twice, but it did not work.

Austan said...

Sorry about the delay in posting comments, folks. I get online when I can, which is reallly sporadic. The good news is that the weather is clear and the run off is running off, and the sooner all that happens, the sooner I'll be back home. The bas news is that this may go on for several weeks more. Thank you for continuing to check in on me You're like a lifeline while I'm in this strange limbo land.

klahanie said...

Another remarkable posting. And it's heartening to see your positive attitude and the support you have received from your friends out here in the great and diverse blogging community.
Indeed, most assuredly, your final paragraph, sums it up. Sending you peaceful wishes,
Gary

Austan said...

Starting- It really is people that matter. Everything else can go away, everything else may go away, but as long as we have each other, anything is possible and nothing is unsurmountable.

Annie- You're the best cheerleader in the world. Thank you.

Gary- You really do know how important it is to "keep calm and carry on". When you get the knack of it, the positive reinforcement keeps kicking in. But I tell ya, sometimes I need a shoehorn to get my head outta my arse!