Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Our Stuff Defines Us

When I left in the evacuation, I took clothing for 2 days. There was no time to be fussy. But I packed the book I was reading, some toiletries, a couple of fun things and my omnipresent notebook. When the word came that we had to pack p our homes and may be out for 2-4 months, it was a different story.

For one thing, there were about 10 people, all but 2 total strangers, packing my home up. I took over packing my desk and grabbing the music I knew I'd need. What I didn't realize was that fate steps in, always. And so by some unplanned quirk, I ended up here with my notebooks full of The Gimp's Guide and the artwork I was doing. And a bunch of electronics. I don't even know what's in the basement here since I can't get down the stairs, but it's all going with me to Strider's and we'll see. I had to order underwear and will have to order socks if they don't turn up. Dunno if there are other shoes, either.

I have to smile when I see my essential music. ELP, Zep and my brother Johnny's memorial CD. The crisis music. The movies were a bit more random as I just grabbed what hadn't been put in the Big Chest of Videos. Which ended up being "Peter's Friends", "Ed Wood", "Mary, Queen of Scots", "Anne of a Thousand Days", and then delivered here, "Thor", cuz I'd pre-ordered it. What a weird bunch of stuff to be a refugee with. No underwear, no socks, but I've got ELP's complete catalog.

Ya gotta have priorities. :)

9 comments:

CarrieBoo said...

Oh my, I am laughing away. What a strange visual. You can always go commando. Hey, this is like your days on campus! I love what you've ended up with. I think you're set, luv.

Austan said...

Carrie I think you're right, as usual. <3

Allyson said...

and we can always get you some new kicks mama. a girl's gotta have fine shoes.

and i'm sure, somehow, we will find ways to entertain ourselves... and if we are feeling nostalgic, i can always go upstairs and we can email.

ima gonna git you. you comin wit me. yay!!

Allyson said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHMu-OyDu8c

Austan said...

And i cannae wait, lass. We gunna have us some fun, yes we will!

klahanie said...

Ah yes, who needs underwear when you can listen to the entire catalogue of ELP. "Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends....." :)

Austan said...

Gary- Hahahah! Yes, who needs underwear when you have ELP? ;)

Rory Grant said...

I don't have any stuff lol - Seriously I don't. My clothes and guitar and that's me.

'Im a man of means by no means - 'King of the road'' lol

Rory

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

It's pretty funny the things we grab during an evacuation. Can't say that I've ever considered any of my music "essential," but it's kinda neat that you do.