Friday, September 30, 2011

Over the Hills and Far Away

It's like I've got two minds right now. Part of me is trying to figure out how to coordinate moving back in from here and part of me is trying to figure out what I want to do with Strider since our time here together is quite shortened. And both are nebulous, a sea of things floating in my head that I can't grab anything from to start.

Hanging with Strider is what it's always been, we chat, relax, laugh. I've slept here like I haven't slept in years. And consequently a peace has settled in that leaves me uncharacteristically quiet and content. Her ex torques me but that's another story. Even he can't seem to rattle my cage that much. Maybe I'm shell-shocked. In any event, this is a me I don't think I've ever seen before.

But the news that I'll be leaving long before anyone thought has the stomach motor rumbling now. I thought we'd have another month or so- my temporary change of address is in til December 1st and so far there's been nothing forwarded, even! There's a list of things to coordinate and I don't know how much warning I'll have to get it all done. And I still haven't found the phone I bought.

It's all academic until I have a firm date to move back in. I have no idea how this'll all work; the "pod" has to be brought back onsite and someone else's belongings may well be packed in behind mine; my furniture and books and stuff only filled the front half of the thing, so someone else may have to move back before I can., or all their stuff may need to be taken out, my stuff removed and their stuff put back in. I don't know. Then, I have to coordinate the arrival of the bed. It'd be nice if that could happen on the day I move back but I'm not sure that can happen. Then I have to coordinate the kind folks who are storing my fragile and non-"pod"-able belongings, and Strider may have to take a day off to drive me back to Vermont, and I need to ask for helpers to move my stuff in again. And there's the re-starting of mail, telephone, cable and internet...oy. So the motor idles, and revs in a low state of panic now and then.

Half of me is over the hills and far away, half of me sits here in Strider's living room, planning a nice pot roast for dinner. 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Look over all your options...Maybe...just maybe...you don't want to go back? At any rate, enjoy this peaceful, healing time.

Austan said...

Lawless- I don't have that option. If FEMA helps you, you must return to where you lived. I couldn't see leaving Bratt, anyway. But yeah, I'm almost a spaceshot, staring out the window with a kitty in my lap!

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Spend more time planning the pot roast dinners. I am sure you will get everything done, don't overthink everything, and enjoy your time with Strider. Don't let those moments slip away.

Austan said...

Arleen, you're right. I'm here now, the wheels are in motion anyway, and que sera, sera. Pot roast going on the stove!

annieoatcake said...

Yum! Pot roast for dinner ;-)

I know exactly where your head is right now... it's where mine's is most of the year :-)

Austan said...

Annie- :D You always make me smile. Wish you were closer; you could join us!

CarrieBoo said...

Oh, I wondered if you had to be back "on the dot", as well. You're like a pinball. I hope you can find out the day your bed will be delivered and then they can accommodate you with that moving date. You have to have a bed. Other than that, yeah, it will all fall into place. Do you make lists? That always help calm my mind when I'm feeling over-run.

Until then... enjoy every minute. Mmmm, pot roast.

annieoatcake said...

Man, would we laugh!

Austan said...

They're gonna want us to be there when they say; just as we had to get out when they said. Yeah, man- pinball without a wizard!

Pot roast is cooking...

Austan said...

Annie- Yeah we would! :D