Friday, October 7, 2011

Macaroni and Cheese Weather!

It's here. Cold enough now, while our blood hasn't thickened yet and we want hot yummy cheese stuff. I love cheesy mac on these Fall nights.

Everyone has their version; some still have Mom's recipe (nobody would want my Mom's version), some have scaled the heights to perfect their own, some use a reliable cookbook, some actually like the boxed kinds. I'll work with the boxed kind but it's not the real cheesy mac and never holds a candle to it, to me.

After years of research here is my Baked Cheesy Mac

1 lb. elbow macaroni, boiled in salted water, drained and rinsed
2 tblsp. butter
2 tblsp. flour
2 c. whole milk
1/2 lb. cheddar, grated
1/4 lb. gruyere, grated
pinch nutmeg
2 tblsp. melted butter and butter to grease the baking pan
1/2 c. unseasoned breadcrumbs
2 tblsp. grated parmesan

In a fry pan melt the butter and add flour, whisking to keep smooth. Whisk in the milk and let the sauce thicken slightly. Add cheeses and nutmeg, continue stirring until everything is melted and gooey. Turn your cooked macaroni into a greased baking pan or casserole dish. Pour the cheese sauce over all, folding it into the mac. In a bowl, combine the breadcrumbs and parmesan and stir in the melted butter. Top the mac with it and put it under a broiler flame for 5 minutes, or bake at 400'F 6-10 minutes until browned.

Eat in a bowl on the sofa while watching something good. Repeat.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gosh that sounds good. I do so miss being able to have anything dairy. Moms used to have ground up salted soda crackers on top.

Austan said...

Lawless- I'm sorry! Geez, I'd never be able to give up dairy. You're a strong one!

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Anything with gruyere cheese is my kind of mac.

My daughter got this cookbook with just recipes of mac and cheese. The favorite of ours is mozzarella mac. My mouth waters just thinking about it. However, my mouth waters just thinking about any food lately.

I am writing down your recipe for later use.

annieoatcake said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm... must be an age thing; I want to eat my way through every cook book ever written :-) I don't know anyone who doesn't like mac and cheese. My husband, Brian, is a veggie and I have his recipe (he's also a trained chef) but this sounds delish... have copied it for tomorrow night - with crustie bread and salad :-)

Laura, if you ever manage across the pond tae Bonnie Scotia, I'll feed you mac and cheese for the duration (with loadsa wee drams tae wash it doon!)

Austan said...

Arleen- Oh man! a whole cookbook of cheesy macs! I could gavonne that stuff! I'm honored- sharing recipes is good!

Annie! Come hell or highwater I'm coming over one of these days. My family's all from Moray and I've never seen the White House of Innes! And we'll have lots of wee drams and laugh like loonies... :)

Geo. said...

Your recipe is true poetry, but even prefab macaroni and cheese modules can be improved by a proper garnish. I find crumbled feta most efficacious.

paulg said...

Mac & cheese is my least favorite form of pasta, but that's a little like talking about the worst player in the Hall of Fame. This recipe does look yummy and has me reconsidering my position.

Let me say this, if you have a recipe for little neck clams in cream sauce over linguine I'd love to read it!

Austan said...

Geo.- If I must use pre-fab, I make it with cream and add real cheeses. It'll never substitute for the real thing, but it suffices in a pinch.

Paul- Let me find one, I know I have at least one with garlic and parsley in a wine and cream sauce...