Thursday, October 6, 2011

"What Can't Be Cured...

...must be endured," my Nana always said. And so I find another application for her wisdom.

Though I'm certainly not happy to live in a state of, "It could be worse", the truth is it could be much, much worse. And as there's nothing I can do, and this particular issue now preventing me from going home is in the hands of insurance companies' bureaucrats, I'll just live with it. I don't have a choice.

But I do understand things on a much more personal level now. I've come to know what it means to be at the mercy of systems and regulations that I can have no part in creating or recreating. Because insurance companies are autonomous. They make rules and we must live with those rules. There is no democracy in business; all the influence, all the value, all the good one may do means nothing to their bottom line.

If nothing else, this experience has taught me that it isn't "big government" or even little government that really yanks our strings, it's for-profit business, big business. And that is what's essentially wrong with everything.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unless of course, you own a big business. Hang in there, things will sort themselves out eventually.

Austan said...

Lawless- Right, hence the 1 per cent that rule the rest of us.

I'm hangin'... especially there. And drumming fingers and thinking of how to change things so others don't have to go through this in the future.