Thursday, October 20, 2011

Paroxysms of Disgust

One of the housing authority's BOD members posted an explanation of what's happened at The Shire. It seems it's down to the insurance, and bureaucracy, natch.

Someone along the line called a bunch of our buildings severely damaged. That's news to me. I heard that my building had no structural damage at all. In fact I still have the email telling me that.

This estimation of severe damage had to be assessed, then a bid call went out for repairing and a contractor answered at well-beneath the value of the buildings, and the town has said "that's not fair market price". And so they won't accept it. Why? The insurance company.

Ya want my take on this? The town doesn't want The Shire anymore. And screw us who lived there.

I've been emailing everyone I can think of  for about 3 hours now. Now that I know who's holding our strings, I have more emails to send. But not tonight. Good thing Strider went out tonight. I need loud music. My music. And she has a great system and we're in the woods.

There's almost a Final Destination feel to this. I move out of one building and it burns down two weeks later. I move to The Shire and it floods. What's next? Locusts?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you were in Canada I would advise you to contact your member of parliament and put a bug in their ear..I don't know what the American equivalent is...

Austan said...

That would be our Senators, Bernie Sanders and Pat Leahy. :)

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Is there no end to this horror story?

Have you contacted Bernie or Pat?

Austan said...

They're my final guns. I'm taking it in steps.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Call a TV station. They might embrace this story.

Austan said...

Lawless, very late reply. The media here were enormously helpful. And in one paper being left and the other being rightwing, questions rose. Maybe that's our last refuge in these Fascist Corporataristocracy-favoring times in this country. Just raise thoughts. People do still want to think at least.

Austan said...

Arleen- You inspired me to contact the local media and make a stink. Thank you, from me and all the Hobbits who got to come back to the Shire!