Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Sitting on the Pause Button

It's been 3 1/2 weeks since Strider collected me in Vermont. In the first few days I fleshed out much of part one of the book I've been working on for 2 years. Then I had a meltdown and put it to the side. And haven't really put much effort to it since. A few notes here, a few corrections there. Funny how what I landed here so enthused to finish has again lost my attention. I got the guilts.

Yesterday I took it up again, rereading, reframing, more notes...and my hand gave out. Ah, now I remember what happened last time I really worked on this. My writing hand failed, and sure that I could make heads or tails of my own writing, for godssakes, I kept going. And ended up with a legal pad of indecipherable chicken scratches. It was very discouraging. Looking at what I scrawled yesterday, it still is.

Which makes me think it's time to make the leap into actually using all the hoohahs in this computer. I have carefully avoided it for 4 years now by telling myself  I'd rather write longhand. Well, that's true, but it's not an option anymore. The last 2 fingers of my right hand rarely cooperate even when there's feeling in them now and I seem to have become pretty adept at typing with my left hand only. So I guess it's time to get off the pause button and get on with it. Entering the 21st century was inevitable, though I dragged my feet as long as I could..

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bummer!! Hey, maybe you can use the speech to text technology that Rory uses....you don't have a Scottish accent do you?

Austan said...

Lawless- Hahah! No, a slight NY accent. I'll have to save for it! The program my SIL who's blind got was 700 bucks!

CarrieBoo said...

You type with one hand? Are you left-handed?

I remember when I first started work, and computers for that matter, I was two-finger typing. It's amazing how you adapt. I taught myself to type eventually... it's not something they taught in England back then.

I always wonder whether to go at it on the computer or in a pad. Hand-writing takes me so long, and my writers-bump hurts... but I do like to scribble in a pad while I work. There's something about having the pad and pen there.

$700! Ouch. I wonder if there is some sort of freeware version. I'll have a look for you...

CarrieBoo said...

What's your operating system?

"If you are using Windows Vista or 7, you may have access to the built in voice recognition program. Look for it in the Start menu. Note: I think you have to be running Home Premium (or above) to use this feature, though I'm not completely sure."

paulg said...

I'm really sad to hear about your hand troubles. That stinks.

I'm guessing writing is not the only task that gives you problems?

One day last week I woke up to the alarm going off and found both my hands were asleep/numb (no idea how I pulled that off) and took forever to turn the dang thing off.

Life without full use of your hands: yikes!

Austan said...

Carrie- Nope, I'm a rightie. Hence the "one piece of artwork takes 4 months" deal. We can adapt, and I've gotten pretty nimble with the left hand. Haven't tried to draw with it; I should probably start. I have Vista; I'll poke around in it today! Thanks!

Paul- It's a challenge all right! Both hands? I'd be cursing a blue streak from here to eternity!

CarrieBoo said...

Good luck. And you're a rightie. Of course, eh. Luvvie.