Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Wednesday Worries

Patience is wearing thin. The food stamp people sent me a notice that since I didn't apply for heating assistance they're cutting off my food stamps. Well I didn't apply for it because I live in public housing and it's included in my rent, which is affordable. So the application goes in the mail tomorrow. Perhaps this will be straightened out but I have a feeling it'll be a hemorrhoid especially since I'll be changing my mailing address again and with no notice. If I don't hear about a go back til Friday and it's the all-clear to return on Saturday I have no time to change everything back. Just what I need, something else to worry about.

You see, when we were told to get out it was said that all open or perishable food in the house should be trashed. So I literally must replace everything from flour, salt and sugar up. All that's left here is teas, some herbs and a jar of Fluff.

Also, I don't know how anything is packed or in what location anything in particular is. My belongings are in 5 places. Perhaps some food is in storage; I gave the Ashram what ended up there, thinking I'd be gone for longer than this at the time and that it wasn't worth transporting here. Money is tight, because I had to lay out so much for a bed, but I'll have to have refreshments for whoever I can find to help me move back in. Pizza and beer aren't cheap anymore. And I'm sure the housing authority will want rent for whatever days are left in October. I already live 30% below the poverty line; it's not like the FEMA grant went very far, and apparently the PTB in Waterbury have already forgotten that we were all thrown out of our homes and will have to start over.

There's also the quite distinct possibility that I'll have no means of communication when I get back because the phone and cable/internet will have to be turned on and there's not enough notice nor anyone there, to have it done ahead of time. So really, it's no wonder I can't sleep. Sorry to bitch so much. I just had to unload and get it all down so I can figure things out. I can't wait for this whole ordeal to be over.

6 comments:

paulg said...

Can you email the BHA folks to have them contact the food stamp people and straighten this out?

Don't worry about food too much, I have a feeling your friends here will help with that (I know I will).

Anonymous said...

Seems like those who hold the power of life and death over others really like to yank that chain. I like to think that at some time in the future (we may not be around to see it) they will get their own. It sounds like you have lots of friends back home. I hope they rally around you until you get resettled.

Austan said...

Paul- that, unfortunately, won't do it. It's to do with heating assistance. I don't know how those 2 programs are connected but they are. Thank you for being there, always.

Lawless- it doesn't seem to take much power to make one be power-mad these days, does it? I do have friends, and will need them for sure. I'd be lost without them.

CarrieBoo said...

This is unfathomable. It makes me sad for you and others to be treated this way. Why can nobody ever pull a few strings to help. It's a good job you are well loved.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Bureaucracy is a bitch. Meanwhile people are holding on by their thumbs waiting for the smallest of crumbs.

I am so sorry Laura that this nightmare keeps dragging on for you.

My daughter and her family are also still going through the ravages of Irene (and subsequent rains). They are fortunate though as they are young and can help themselves. Unfortunately, the insurnce companies are giving them the run around.

Corporations, government - it is all the same.

Austan said...

Carrie- It seems that the monied have cut holes in every safety net in order to save a few bucks here and there.

Arleen- I'm so sorry to hear about what your daughter's going through. Until insurance comrps are regulated and forced to be non-profit, they'll be out to get everyone who pays them for protection. It's disgusting.