Sunday, October 30, 2011

Snow High, Head Low

There's about a foot of the white stuff outside. Which usually makes me jubilant. It's the first snow of the season, I love this. Usually. Not really, this time. Being homeless can do your head in. It feels like I've been here for 3 seasons now.

It is beautiful. The trees that were dark sticks yesterday are frosted and bowed under the weight. For all intents, it looks like deep midwinter, not the end of October. The wind catches a branch with a large bird's nest and for a minute it looks like the tree is flailing, trying to rid itself of the whole thing, nest and snow and all. Power lines shake it off and bounce. Thankfully they're resilient.

Snow is falling, snow on snow, snow on snow...

The pain is remarkable. Everything hurts. Each vertebrae, each joint. Not doing much for my mood, either. Sleeping is a chore at times like these. An hour here, a couple hours there. Try to find a comfortable way to lay, try to ignore it. Keep your mouth shut as much as you can. Pray for unconsciousness, as we used to say. I wonder why seasonal changes affect the joints so much. Every damn time there's a weather swerve, and we get a lot of them lately, my body riots. I've gotten used to pain; this is 22 years now of joint issues. But it always takes me by surprise anyway when it gets like this.

Ems had to go out. Clemmie thought she wanted out. They were both back at the door in 2 minutes. Hey! Wait a minute- it stopped snowing! Yippee!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry it's a bad day pain wise....Sending thoughts of warmth and comfort your way.

Austan said...

Thanks, Lawless.
We'll have another weather change come tomorrow as the temp is supposedly rising into the 50s. That'll make for some sloppy trick or treating.

CarrieBoo said...

I don't think the cold helps with pain, everything wants to seize up. Sorry you're having such a rough'n, Laura. Horrible when you can't sleep it's so bad. Rising into the 50's... let me calculate... above 10-degrees Celsius. That's definitely more bare-able. Hope you get a smidgen of relief. "Trick or treat, smell my sloppy feet."

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I am sorry to hear about your pain, but I have to agree, the weather makes the joints ache.

The snow was beautiful, but the sun came out today and most of it is gone. Hopefully, it will stay gone for at least a few more months.

paulg said...

I'm sorry to hear you're dealing with pain.
I think it's the thing I most fearful of and the biggest chicken with regard to it.
Hope the nice weather that's forecast (fingers all crossed) for this week brings relief along with it.