Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The High Pro Glow

Despite 5 attempts in over 2 hours in total of hanging on the line waiting, I couldn't get thru to Economic Services still, this afternoon. I left a message and will start calling again at 8:15 tomorrow morning. But everything else got done today. All the carbs are gone from the house. I have much meat and cheese in the fridge. The party trash and recycling is out. The sink is cleared. I even took down some of the holiday festoonery. Kim came over from the office and the notarized okay to probate Uncle Glenn's Will is in the mail already. So are the bill payments. I ordered the dress for Greg's concert. And kitty supplies. I've got a backlog of emails to return but there's tomorrow to do that. It's a good start on the new year.

It may be all in my mind but I can feel the energy shift from just today's eating. Eating high protein is an instant change in me. I get really hungry and eat just a bit and my energy level doesn't dip or zoom. It's been years since I last did this; I was still working then. I remember feeling good and after the first couple of weeks not missing carbs at all. There's no deprivation syndrome, really. You can eat whenever, and the surprise is that you don't eat big amounts because you're eating fats and protein that satisfy hunger PDQ. The drawback is that it's expensive. Which is why I had to quit it. But that was back when 7/9ths of my income went to my landlord. With so little left after rent, I often lived on ramen noodles and box mac'n'cheese, both unhealthy and fattening. Affordable housing is affordable. Things are better now.

Now if was just a tad warmer, or there was some snow cover to insulate the house from the wind. Man is it cold. That wind is just cutting. The sun's just gone down, too. Tonight's gonna be killer cold. I hope everyone's safe and warm.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great start to the new year...good for you and good luck with the new style of eating. Oh yes, and congrats on one more follower.

Pearl said...

I'm on the same diet.

:-)

Pearl

Austan said...

Thanks Lawless!

Hey Pearl, ain't it great?!!

paulg said...

Is chocolate a protein?...

Austan said...

Unfortunately chocolate is gone until the concert... :I All sugar, even in coffee...but I'm pretty sick of it all at this point.

Elephant's Child said...

mybabyjohn/Delores sent me here, and I am so glad she did. A really interesting post - thank you.

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

I tried that diet and I loved it. Felt better and lost about 100gm per week. My Beloved said it was really unhealthy, put me back on a 'normal'diet.
I gained 20kg.

Go figure.

I still crave cheese.

Austan said...

TEC- Welcome! Delores (or Lawless as I call her) is the Best. Glad you liked it!

TSB- But it is healthy! As long as you get enough romaine in you to keep go-going... ;)

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Sounds like you are starting out the year just right. I still have company so I am still surrounded by holiday decor. Next week I will begin the big clean-up which will include the frig and all the carbs it contains.