Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Slumber of the Beest

For the last couple of weeks all the Beest wants to do is eat and sleep. She sleeps on the desk leaf (and falls off). She sleeps on the couch. And if I'm making noise or moving things she goes into the bedroom (now with blackout-thermo drapes) and sleeps in my bed. She'll sleep after dinner and will wake up to follow me to bed, where she goes back to sleep.

Must be the midwinter. It's been on and off cold the last week, and rarely sunny. And her middle name is Bear, after all. She's in semi-hibernation.

Hasn't affected her appetite any. Though I fear I'm spoiling her to hell. She gets bits of my meat and cheese as well as her foods. And milk. She won't eat greens though. Catnip, yes. She'll hunker right down into catnip, then go eat, then pass out. Just like a stoner. She slept right through my combing her today after she hit the catnip. It's a phenomenon.

And it's also an instant wake up when she hears any of the following:
running water
a can opening
the fridge door
so I figure she's just acting like she's asleep most of the time. In a stoner daze, as if she's lying in an opium den, where I'm her watcher. I do look over to see if she's still breathing when she isn't snoring. She has me trained well.

4 comments:

Geo. said...

"...running water
a can opening
the fridge door..."

Same here. I wake up to everything but an alarm clock now.

Anonymous said...

Indeed, if you want to find your cat open a can. We had one, years ago, and if you couldn't find him you just called "fish" and he cam running. Of course, you'd better have some.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

When we wanted to find one of our indoor/outdoor cats, all we had to do ws knock a spoon against a plate and he would come-a-running.

I read that cats can sleep up to 20 hours a day. Sounds like The Beast is just a normal cat.

klahanie said...

Greetings Laura,
Yes, tis I, Penny the Jack Russell dog and modest internet star. I have snuck onto the keyboard while my dopey human is listening on his headphones to some music by some band named Black Sabbath.
Would you tell the Beest, that for a cat, she seems okay. And coming from me, yes me, Penny, much loved and adored doggy blogger, that's quite something! :)
Must go now, the darned 'puppyarazzi' are looking through the curtains....