Saturday, March 26, 2011

Reclaiming Eargasms

A lot of the music I listen to should be played loud. Headphones have been a blessing in my life since 1973 and today's headphones are light years better than they used to be. The earbuds in the old Walkmans can't hold a candle. Since my hearing's returned I'm an audio junkie. I've been listening to a BBC radio series about David Bowie's life here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00snqt1

(there's only 1 day left to listen to pt 1)

and love the sound quality in Bowie's music. But even listening to the voices speak is luscious to the ears.

Which made me think, "When was the last time I just sat and listened to things?" I'm pretty sure it was 1998. It's a luxury that I had no time for, for years. Only in the last year or so have I shut everything else down and only listened. It's a rare pleasure again, and to hear the same music I loved on good equipment- I've regressed into a second adolescence. If possible, I'm an even more avid fan of all the same musicians and have the same wild fervor for some new bands, which surprises me. Like Mumford and Sons:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mumfordandsons?blend=1&ob=4

And this took about 20 years off me; The Nobs at MSG that magic night I saw them with a couple of friends. It's not much to look at but the sound put me right back in the audience and the feeling of that incredible experience:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNOKysx2F-g

Put some headphones on and close your eyes. I double dog dare ya.

No comments: