Saturday, March 5, 2011

Un Mot Finale

I've gotten some feedback about my stance on anti-depressants. I maintain they are too often prescribed. I stated in the original post that there are those who need them, but that is not 40% of the population, I'm quite sure, as one emailer said. For the rest of us who have good damn reason to be sad or mad and for whom it isn't a chemical imbalance, anti-depressants are life robbers. Docs don't draw blood and determine your chemicals are off. They ask if you're depressed and pull out the pad.

See it's like taking opiates for pain. If your pain receptors are on red alert, the opiates go saturate them and burn up on them. But if you're not in pain, the opiates don't have any particular place to go and you get high. In the case of anti-depressants, if you've got fine transmission going, it's gonna muck up something else. Like your ability to enjoy life. If you have no joy and no sorrow, is it life?

And that, as they say, is that.

No comments: